Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Gospel That Captured Who I Am

We (with my family and my cousin) went to the church tonight to attend an Anticipated mass (a mass in a Saturday with Sunday's gospel). And the gospel has hit me. That was Mark 6:1-6.

"And Jesus said to them, 'A prophet is not without honor, except in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.'" -Mark 6:4

This struck me the most. I don't know why, but it came to my mind that it is what I am at home. So, here's my own reflection.

I was prejudged here in my house, like Jesus was in His own birthplace, Jerusalem. I was always the weakest link, the one always pushed forward (sometimes pushed aside), the one always pressured. They see me as someone weaker than my own brother even though I am the eldest. Someone they can call their "kaladkarin" son.

But outside, I was treated different. I am someone worth searching for. The go-to guy. The nice guy. The sweet guy. The corny guy. There's always something in me that makes me who I am.

It's sad that when everyone else you knew wishes you luck in your thesis and encouraging you, your family brings you down and doubting your capabilities. That was what I thought. They keep on seeing me as the one who failed a subject and is doomed to fail again.

But Jesus did the right thing. He still share the wonders of God's love for us. He is willing to give Himself to His hometown even though He knew He will not be accepted. He even healed the sick and performed some miracles.

Can something good come from a man who failed once? I don't know. But there is only one thing I know that I will always do. I will never stop trying to succeed even though my own kin will despise me for that failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment